Friday, May 10, 2013

Falafel Pizza

This pizza was made with a layer of Abraham's spicy hummus, spinach, tomato, onion, baked falafel from Appetite for Reduction, and topped at the end with garlic-ginger tahini dressing from New American Vegan.  The dough is from The Vegan Family Cookbook

I pita the fool who doesn't eat falafel pizza!

Brian: After semi diminishing scores following the benny pizza back on Monday, I was starting to worry that, like the fog in the movie The Mist, some sort of inescapable pizza fatigue was setting in. Luckily, this winner of a pie came along to slap me in the face and say "No! There is no such thing as too much pizza! Don't be such an idiot!" This was definitely a 5 out of 5 pizza. Allie was once again kind enough to get everything together before I got home from work, but remembered that she had read/heard that adding a layer of hummus before the toppings works for this kind of pizza. I stopped at our local grocery store and picked up some spicy hummus and was so glad Allie asked me to when I started eating. It put this pizza firmly in the 5/5 arena, adding a spicy and creamy base that, along with the tahini sauce, kept the pizza from being too dry with the crust and the falafel. Speaking of crust, we went back to the recipe we used fo the first two pizzas and split the difference in the amount of oil, and we think we have finally nailed the best recipe yet. It cooked perfectly with a soft chewy crust and a firm bottom to support all the toppings. While I once again couldn't finish the remaining slices, I don't feel at all bad, since the crust, falafel, tomatoes, onions, spinach and hummus made this a pizza of great magnitude. Would eat again in a heartbeat!

Allie: Falafel pizza?  Yes and very yes.  Every part of this pizza was amazing.  The falafel was really quick and easy to make and was super light.  I liked how it was baked and not fried.  The tahini dressing was more savory and delicious than your average tahini, the addition of ginger and nutritional yeast made it very zesty.  I would put that dressing on anything.  Brian said he wanted to bathe in it, and anything that gets him to want to bathe is amazing in my book.  As Brian mentioned, the crust was perfect, which was good because if it was too dry again I was about to get really bummed.  I give this pizza a perfect 5 out of 5 slice rating.  If you eat it you will probably want to burn all your pitas because this is so much better, but that's wasteful.  Instead, feed pitas to geese.

No comments:

Post a Comment