Thursday, May 9, 2013

Peanut Curry Pizza

This pizza was made with a thai peanut sauce adapted from an online recipe (we substituted soy sauce for fish sauce and only used 1 can of coconut milk).  We layered the sauce with cauliflower, red pepper, and chickpeas.  The dough was from Grills Gone Vegan.


Chickpeas! You cauli that a pizza?


Allie: I appreciate that this pizza took no time at all to whip up, because I had a rough day and then we went to a happy hour that ran long and I was beat.  I also appreciate that Brian did all the dishes!  The sauce was very creamy, sweet, and spicy (we used extra hot chili powder that we got at the Indian market).  I would not recommend this sauce if it was a bowl of curry and not a pizza, because that would be a bit much.  I only had 1 piece and it was enough.  The crust was kind of cracker-ish, even though we let it rise for almost 3 hours, which is annoying.  But it was easy to work with.  The veggies were great.  It didn't knock my socks off, but it was a perfectly tasty pizza.  I was too tired to see if Brian left any slices behind, but we did get some help from his roommate Tim, who said it was great.  I was going to give this a 4 out of 5, but upon reflection I'm bumping it down to 3.5 slices because it wasn't anything special, and I've come to have higher expectations from our meals than yumminess alone.


Brian:  Out of the pizzas we have made so far, this one left me the most unimpressed. This is not meant to say it was bad, because it was definitely delicious, it just lacked a certain quality to push it over the top. As Allie mentioned the crust was the thinnest of the ones we have made so far, despite being left to rise the most, which led to a kind of bland cracker vibe. This, combined with the fact that the we forgot we were halving the amount of sauce we would make and put in the normal amount of peanut butter but half the amount of coconut milk, made the pizza have a sort of cracker and peanut butter effect that just wasn't working to put me in true Pizza Wolf mode. The cauliflower, peppers and chickpeas were the best toppings we could have picked, but if we had lessened the peanut butter and upped the spice of the sauce, I think it all would have worked together better. I'm going to join Allie in her 3.5/5 overall assessment. Considering my less than totally blown away first impression, which happened with the previous two pizzas, and the fact that there were two unclaimed slices left over that I had no desire to go back to later on in the evening I don't think I could justify a higher score. THAT BEING SAID: This was still pizza, and pizza is awesome. 4 ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment